Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, July 25, 2008

My soapbox for today!

Did anyone hear the story about what Micahel Savage said on his radio show this week? He was discussing autism and said it was a "fraud" and was a result of lack of parental discipline. He went on to say "I'll tell you what autism is, in 99% of the cases, it is a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out." He said most of these children don't have a father around to tell them to stop screaming and acting like an idiot!

I was absolutely OUTRAGED!!! For those of you who don't know, I teach elementary aged kids with autism. Last year I ended to school year with 17 3rd-5th grade boys in my class. This year I will start with 15 4th and 5th grade boys! I absolutely LOVE my kids, even when they are screaming having their and meltdowns! For anyone to say that autism is a "fraud" completely shows their ignorance! I have been so angry about his comments ever since I heard them on the news! I understand that you have freedom of speech, but Savage crossed the line! I absolutely cannot believe that anyone would be so ignorant to believe such a thing! These parents did not choose to have a child with autism and it is not a result of their parenting that their children have autism! Okay, that is my soapbox for the day!

1 comment:

kristymasterson said...

Kim,
Of course I got fired up about this too. And I thought of you. You know Mr. Savage has NEVER been in an autistic classroom much less had a relationship with a child who has autism. It drives me crazy when people create these opinions without first hand experience. Hope you have a great school year. I would love to come see you in action some time!
Kristy